Duck Fry Wrapped Turkey Loaf with Ketchup Glaze
Recipe by: Kristen H.
Our duck fry is a perfect staple to any traditional meat loaf, the drippings from the fry keeps the loaf moist and delicious!
Brown Sugar Ketchup Glaze Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire
- 2lbs of Ground Turkey (We used 1lb white meat 1lb dark) but you can always use chicken or even beef!
- 2/3 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parsley, minced
- 1 package of Pelleh Poultry Duck Fry
- 3 tbsp. of the Ketchup Glaze
Meat Loaf Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic, sauté until softened, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire.
- Then add eggs and 3 tbsp. of glaze to meat in a large bowl, along with bread crumbs parsley and cooked onions and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl.
- Turn meat mixture onto a work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into a loaf approximately 9 by 5 inches.
- Cover a wire rack with foil; prick foil in several places with a fork. Place a rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup.
- Set formed loaf on rack. Brush loaf with all of glaze, and then arrange the duck fry slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking them under to prevent curling.
- Brush loaf again with the glaze. (I like to set a little aside before brushing at all to use as a dip for the meat loaf, just be sure not to use the glaze after brushing the raw poultry loaf!)
- Bake loaf until fry is crisp and loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Cool for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve